Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas recounted

We all had a wonderful Christmas this year. On Christmas Eve we went to church and heard the final advent message. We need to worship more, consume less, give more and love all. I left the service feeling very loving. I haven't been doing so well with the consume less part but I now have something to work on, right?

We then went to Outback Steak House which has been our tradition for the last several years. We were seated almost right away and the food was as good as ever. The only down side was that Laurel's boyfriend's meal was misplaced and he received his food a lot later than the rest of us. They apologized and gave us his meal for free. He thanked us for inviting him along and we said "gee, your meal was free you can come anytime!"

We then came home and everyone opened one present. I received a beautiful sweater from Laurel. Next we played a rousing game of 'Apples to Apples'. (the Jr. version) Leah really impressed me with her reading ability, needing help with only a few words. Laurel did the best by far. She seemed to be able to judge what would be the most likely chosen word. For instance, Leah always picks the funniest answer.

The next morning we opened more presents. Santa was kind to us this year! Steph and Leah received many Webkinz and Nintendo DS games. (they also received some clothes but that wasn't as exciting) For Laurel it was mostly movies and clothes. I received a book that I have been wanting to read, 'Breaking Back' by James Blake. I know you are thinking, but Barb that is a non-fiction book. I know it is but it has it all, my love of tennis and I am a huge fan of James. I, of course have finished the book already and loved it.

We had Christmas dinner with my dad's side of the family. It was crazy with way too many people for the space but a lot of fun. My baby cousin Meredith is absolutely adorable. I think every year that it could be the last with my grandmother, who is 93 but still going strong. I hope for many more Christmases to come with her.

We will be celebrating with my mom's family this weekend.

I will definitely have to start to 'consume less' with the start of the new year.

2 comments:

x said...

awww! apples to apples was always our christmas eve tradition too! we didnt' do it this year, but it sounds like you all had fun :)

Tim Parenti said...

Outback seems like a fun tradition! It is indeed sad, however, that the "simple phrase" offered for "kids from 1 to 92" no longer applies to Esther. I wonder what kinds of complex phrases she was offered this year. It's amazing that she still flies out to California every year to visit her sister. Ted wants to see 100 (and is only 17 months away), but Esther says she wouldn't want to. Here's hoping she does anyway!