Sunday, January 27, 2008

Bleary-eyed

The reason that I have not posted lately is that I have been watching the Australian Open tennis championships. The tournament has been taking place the last two weeks and ended today with the final men's match. Novak Djokovic (from Serbia) defeated Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (from France) in an exciting 4th set tie breaker. The only thing that I don't like about this tournament is that I like to watch the matches live and with there being a 16 hour time difference that made for some late nights. ESPN2 had the tournament on starting coverage at anywhere between 9pm and 11:30pm. I went to bed between 1 and 1:30 am every night.

I was disappointed that the Americans didn't fare better. James Blake lost to Roger Federer in a good match. Now that Djokovic beat Federer maybe Roger isn't looking quite as invincible. I have high hopes for James this year. Serena and Venus Williams both lost to young Serbian players. They both seemed rather lethargic in their last matches I hope that they are feeling okay for the upcoming season.

I wish that the Australian Open would move forward about a month to make it closer to the other major tournaments. I am sure that the players feel the same way. It would give them a longer off-season to recover and work on their game. Oh well, I doubt anyone will listen to me on this issue. I would really love to go to Melbourne and see the tournament for myself.

Now that the Australian Open is over I can get back to all the things I have put off doing.

1 comment:

Tim Parenti said...

Time zones are a necessary evil. Case in point.