Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Enthralled

I read a lot and usually have several books waiting for me at any given time. I have at least four or five sitting there now and a couple from the library that I have already renewed twice. It's not that I haven't been reading it is just that the Twilight series has captivated me so much that I haven't been able to pick up anything else. I have read each of the books several times and can't wait to go back home so I can read some more. The day after Christmas, at my mom's house, we had a party with her side of the family. I was so torn over reading the last book in the series and socializing with my family. I had to tear myself away from the book to hang out with them only to go back to the book when I felt I could make my escape without it seeming so obvious that I would rather be somewhere else. Even now that I have read the last book twice and counting, my obsession doesn't appear to be letting up any.

It is really odd for me to reread any book. I did reread the Harry Potter books but they pretty much are the exception to the rule. I am one of those people that once I start a book I am focused on it and the desire to finish it is so strong. But I have reread the third book 5 times. Yes, 5 times!!! Of course, part of that was that my mom was giving Steph the fourth book for Christmas and I had to wait to read it. Okay, in all honesty I went to Barnes and Noble and read a few chapters Christmas Eve Day. I was so tempted to buy my own copy but my thriftiness came through, I could wait one more day, right?

So, what is it about these books that have me so enthralled? I think that my love of fantasy and being a romantic makes these books seem like they were written especially for me. I find myself smiling when I am reading them and even though I know what is going to happen my enjoyment isn't any less each time. I can relate it to eating good chocolate, only with chocolate you can get full and I don't have my fill of the books yet. I know that I should be doing other things, like laundry, cleaning, etc. but I am really bad with procrastination especially with things I don't like doing. I don't see an end in sight although I am hoping when the TV networks have new shows again I'll be strong enough to tear myself away. I sound like an addict don't I? Is there such a thing as a Twilight intervention?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You didn't succeed. No one was wondering where you went when you would leave. We all knew you would rather be reading that book.

But, it's fun to have such a strong desire for something like that. We would worry (and be totally shocked) if you suddenly would rather be cleaning than reading!

Tim Parenti said...

The advantage do doing laundry at home is that it only steals you away from what you're doing for 10 minutes every 45 or so, since you've typically only got one of each machine. Surely, that wouldn't be too bad of a way to read a book?

I know from experience that it's okay, because I, too, can't put books down once I start them. Which is why I intentionally avoid such things during the academic year. (Although I did make a notable exception over a rather dull weekend in November when I had nothing better to be doing.)

Of course, this experience (as most) comes from a prior mistake: The one time I read a science fiction novel for pleasure, I started at 19:00 on a Sunday night. Bad idea. I had no clue how enticing the plot would be, and before I knew it, it was 06:00 and I'd finished. My alarm went off for school shortly thereafter. That was not a good day.