Tuesday, February 24, 2009

M.I.A.

Grocery shopping is a task that I don't usually mind except when it is really cold or raining and then I would rather avoid the long walk to and fro the store. I sometimes use a list which is really helpful, but other times I think I will remember what we need without the list and end up forgetting something or getting back home and realize I should have gotten something I didn't know we needed. I have been shopping less frequently since Mark has been traveling a lot. I wait until we are out of so many things it is crucial to go . Like this past week when we were so painfully low on chocolate that I resorted to grabbing a hand full of chocolate chips. I mentioned this to a few friends and found that I am not the only person to do this.

So, I went to Giant Eagle (sans list) and bought a heart shaped box of chocolates , 2 bags of peanut M&M's and 1 bag of Hershey Kisses. It was after Valentines Day so they were all marked down which was my rationalization. I also bought some other foods that are too boring to mention.

I then decided to go to Aldi's which is a discount grocery store that has a limited selection but has really good prices on some of the basics. ie; brownie mix, salsa, cereal, graham crackers etc. I hadn't been to Aldi's in months, but I needed some things that I like there and since I had a free afternoon I ventured out even though it was really cold. I was in the last aisle when I realized that I missed something that I normally get, I left my cart and went back to search for said item. I never did find it and when I went back my cart was not where I thought I had left it. I looked around and there were a few carts without owners sitting there, but they weren't mine. I was so frustrated, I didn't want to start again so I walked up the aisle looking at other people carts to see if I could find the person who had taken mine. I found him, the cart thief, I timidly approached him and said," You have my cart." He was so very embarrassed, apologized profusely, claiming that this was one of those "most embarrassing moments". I told him it could have been so much worse and he agreed. I was just happy to have my things back. Has this happened to anyone else?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had an incident at Aldi just before Christmas. My boys like the brand of String Cheese they have. I almost never am over that way, could you get us String Cheese the next time you go? :-)

Anonymous said...

that is too funny. my bad experiences at aldi's have to do with the carts too, usually stressing over not having quarters or forgetting my bags. once i needed a ton of stuff for a picnic and didn't have a quarter for a cart so decided to just load up in my arms. by time i reached the produce aisle, i was sheepishly asking people to put things on the pile in my arms!

i have to say, i have never resorted to chocolate chips though in my chocolate cravings. i'm not sure i'm glad to know that tip - could be dangerous!!