Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Hunger Games

As many of you know I was enthralled with the Twilight books, rereading them many times. I finally broke it off by reading "Pride and Prejudice." I then read nothing for about a week when I received a call from the library that a book I had requested came in. I hadn't even remembered what I requested, it had been such a long time ago. When I picked the book up it was "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins.

I vaguely remember asking for it. I have read several book by Ms. Collins and I really like her style of writing. I loved this book. The basic premise is that the United States is no more and instead there is the Capital, which is in the Rockies somewhere and then 12 Districts. The districts lost a war against the capital and now are forced into sending tributes (one boy and one girl, aged between 12 and 18) to the Hunger Games. The tributes are competing to be the last one alive and all of the districts are required to watch them. The main character is a 16 year old girl named Katniss who competes in the games after taking the place of her 12 year old sister whose name was drawn. The boy from her district is Peeta, who had once shown Katniss kindness when she was in great need.

I won't go into any more details because I want all of you to read the book and tell me what you think of it. The only thing I'll say is that at the end it said "the end of book one." It did not say how many books will be in the series but I am totally hooked. I found out that the next book comes out in September.

So, happy reading.

No comments: