Thursday, November 29, 2007

unwell revisited

I think it was interesting to read the comments about my last post. Everyone seems to agree that Tom needs a wake-up call from God. Yes, I feel a bit bad about "wishing unwell" myself, but I can't help being a little glad when his movies flop. Okay, now on to a new yet somehow related topic...

As many of you know I am a huge fan of fantasy books, movies,etc. My favorite movie(s) of all time are "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. I read mostly books from the children and young adult section because I enjoy an easy read without all the adult issues found in grown-up books. The movie "the Golden Compass" is coming out soon. I read the trilogy several years ago and would normally be excited to see the movie. However, I found the books to be rather disturbing in their anti-church and atheistic views. The third book in particular was the worst in that regard. I never would recommend the books to children.

The director removed the anti-church message in the first movie, but I fear that if kids enjoy the movie ,they might be inclined to read the rest of the books. It is too bad that the author couldn't have stuck with a good story without alienating people of faith.

So, I guess I'm wishing this movie "unwell" also.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have heard bad things about this book series as well. I will have to look next time I'm in Scott's library if they have it. Not because I want to read it, maybe just to steer kids away from it if given the chance.

The movie trailer certainly makes it seem exciting and with Nicole Kidman in it, I am sure it will be popular.